Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale targets swift recovery from ankle injury

Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale says he will do his utmost to return to action as soon as possible as he prepares to undergo ankle surgery next week.

The Wales international goes under the knife in London next Tuesday after damaging the peroneal tendons in his right ankle during Real’s Champions League win over Sporting Lisbon earlier this week.

Real have not said how long they expect Bale to be sidelined for, but reports suggest he could be out for up to three months.

Bale hopes he will be back sooner rather than later, writing on Twitter on Friday morning: “Thanks for all the messages! Ankle is feeling OK. I’ll be doing everything I can to get back on the pitch ASAP #Halamadrid.”

Although it is not known when Bale will be fit to return, the 27-year-old seems certain to be sidelined for the remainder of 2016 at the very least.

That would mean he will miss El Clasico against Barcelona on December 3 and the Champions League showdown against Borussia Dortmund four days later, which Real need to win to finish top of Group F ahead of the German side.

Bale suffered the injury against Sporting Lisbon in the Champions League
Bale suffered the injury against Sporting Lisbon in the Champions League

Bale, who has struggled with various injuries during his time in Spain, is also set to sit out the FIFA Club World Cup, which takes place in Japan between December 8-18.

Wales’ next scheduled match is the World Cup qualifier against the Republic of Ireland on March 24.